What you’ll need
- 2 beef tomatoes
- 1 small aubergine
- 125g mozzarella
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 25g parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 10g fresh basil
The easy bit
- Pre-heat the oven to 190°c.
- Take the aubergine and cut six 1cm rounds of roughly the same size.
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over the slices and season with a little salt and pepper, pop onto a hot griddle pan and cook on both sides until slightly charred. Then remove from the pan.
- Slice the beef tomatoes into four pieces roughly the same thickness. Slice the mozzarella cheese into 6, again equally.
- Finely chop the basil and pop it into a small bowl and mix with the remaining olive oil, parmesan cheese and garlic.
- Place the two bottom slices of the tomato into a small oven-proof dish, season with salt and pepper then top with a slice of aubergine, a slice of mozzarella followed by a small amount of the dressing, repeat the layers and finish off with the last slice of tomato, remembering to season each layer.
- Place the tomato stack into the pre-heated oven for 10-15 minutes until soft and the cheese has melted. Serve with fresh garden salad.