What you’ll need
- 2 aubergines (approx 200g in weight each), cut into 1 cm slices
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 spring onions, trimmed and sliced
- 125g mozzarella, thickly sliced
- 4 basil leaves, shredded
- 300g napoletana (tomato) sauce
- 20g parmesan cheese, grated
The easy bit
- Preheat the oven to 190ºC. Place the aubergine slices onto a baking tray in a single layer. Brush with the olive oil and bake for 10 minutes. Cooking the aubergines in this way means that you only use 2 tablespoons of oil – if you were to fry the slices it would use a lot more.
- Transfer the aubergines to an ovenproof dish, layering them with the spring onions, mozzarella, shredded basil and tomato sauce. Sprinkle with the parmesan and bake for 25 minutes. Serve immediately.