What you’ll need
- 900 grams medium sized aubergines
- Salt to taste
- 2 large, brown onions thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 450 grams ripe tomatoes cut into strips
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 2 or 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 170 grams olives
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
The easy bit
- Wash the eggplants, cut them into small pieces, put them into a large strainer and sprinkle with salt. Allow to drain for 10 minutes and rinse.
- Meanwhile, combine the onions with one-third of the olive oil in a wide, shallow pan. Cook until golden.
- Add the tomatoes, capers, celery, aubergine and olives. Mix well and cook for 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle the lemon juice and return to a low heat. Cook until the vegetables are very tender.
- Serve either warm or cold as a salsa. Also great with a green side salad.
- Energy – 251 kcal
- Protein – 7 grams
- Carbs – 10 grams
- Fats – 15 grams
- Fibre – 8 grams