What you’ll need
- 20 g butter
- 3 medium brown onions, halved and finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 cups beef stock
- ½ cup dry red wine
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and black pepper
- 15 g parmesan, grated
The easy bit
- Heat the butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onions and garlic and cook, stirring, for 15-20 minutes or until the onions are soft and deep brown in colour.
- Add the stock, wine and bay leaf and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve with a sprinkling of parmesan.
Tip: You can also spoon 1-2 tablespoons of the soup over red meats as a sauce.
- Energy 201 kcal
- Protein 8g
- Fat 9g
- Carbs 10g