What you’ll need
- 2 squid tubes, about 300 g
- 20 g cornflour
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
The easy bit
- Use a sharp knife to cut lengthwise through 1 side of each squid tube.
- Open out flat with the inside surface facing up and score diagonally.
- Cut into irregular shapes and pat dry with paper towels.
- Combine the cornflour, salt, pepper and five-spice powder in a bowl.
- Add the squid and toss gently to coat.
- Remove the squid and shake off any excess.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add the squid and cook for 3-4 minutes until golden brown and crisp.
- Serve with lemon wedges and a green side salad.
Tip: Prawns are also delicious when cooked using this method.
- Energy 271 kcal
- Protein 25g
- Fat 15g
- Carbs 8g